Sunday, May 23, 2010

Captured Swarm

Last week I was walking my dogs with my wife and kids and noticed something hanging from the honeysuckle vines on my neighbor Mike's fence. At first, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on my and that my newfound love of honeybees was causing me to hallucinate. But as I drew closer, I realized that my eyes were not kidding me and that there was a huge cluster of bees. One of Mike's hives must have swarmed. I quickly ran to Mike's house and told him what I spotted. The two of us proceeded to capture the swarm in an extra medium super of his. It was exciting and terrifying at the same time. I decided to help without any of my gear. I understood, academically speaking, that I should be safe, but to have thousands of bees in my hands and flying around me sure put my faith in such knowledge to the test. As it turns out, I was completely safe and though the bees buzzed with excitement at times, I did not get stung once. So, Mike is now ecstatic. As the saying goes, "A swarm in May is worth a bundle of hay." His captured swarm is probably at greater strength than either of the hives I began in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment